Friday, November 8, 2013

Sad Little Kitty

7/365

This is Dexter...well I don't really know what his name is but I'm going to call him Dexter.  He's a feral cat who has come into our neighborhood.  I find myself wanting to know what his story is.  Was he born in the wild?  Did his family abandon him when they moved?  Was he out playing when they left and they couldn't find him?  Whatever his story...I'm very sad for him.  He's not friendly but not really unfriendly either.  He'd really rather I don't touch him so I don't.  I saw him a few days ago in the back yard- although I didn't see any injuries, he was moving kind of slow and looked tired.  I put some food out and the next day it was gone, but wasn't sure who actually ate it.  More food the next day and by the next morning that too was gone.  Yesterday I took the food container out in the early afternoon and shook it and he came running and ate and ate.  That's when I discovered he'd really rather not be petted...  I asked my husband if he would build a feral cat house and with no hesitation he said, "Of course."  I've put posts all around to see if somebody knows Dexter and is missing him, but so far no luck.  Winter is fast approaching.  I'd love to take him in and try to give him a nice home, but I've already got 2 cats who would not be happy about that.  What to do...what to do?  If I take him to the Humane Society I know they will euthanize him.  Would that be a kindness?  It doesn't feel like it... For now I guess I'll just feed him and try to keep him warm.  Sad...

Lousy quality cellphone picture, but it was the camera at hand...

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful woman you are keeping that frightened kitty fed right now! I am sure he is scared to death, but he will come around. He is very handsome. Do you have any no kill shelters in your area? I know there are not too many to be found. I hope someone claims him, but as an animal lover..thanks for caring for him as you are!

    ReplyDelete